Tuesday, June 18, 2013

R. C. Sproul Advocates the Head Covering

Thanks to the website The Head Covering Movement, which I linked in the previous post, I found out that R. C. Sproul has a sermon on this subject, To Cover or Not to Cover in which he advocates that women wear a head covering in church.  The talk is available in MP3 for $2.00 and I couldn't find it anywhere else.  I didn't see a date on it so I don't know how recent it is. 

Sproul's taking this position ought to have an effect on some Christians who haven't found other advocates of the head covering convincing enough or authoritative enough.  Other preachers in the Reformed camp, such as John MacArthur and Alistair Begg, following Thomas Schreiner, have preached that Paul was merely supporting a local custom so that we are free to make use of whatever our own custom dictates, and these popular preachers would naturally have a lot of influence among Reformed Christians.  

Sproul answers this interpretation succinctly by pointing out that this is imposing an explanation on Paul that Paul himself didn't give, that Paul's main reason for the head covering is derived from Creation.

I'm sorry I didn't know about this talk until now.  I hope it might become well known and bring many to rethink this Biblical passage.

No comments:

Post a Comment